Monday, February 27, 2023
Wednesday, February 22, 2023
Second embroidery freebie 2023
At least it's in Feb. but not sure if I'll get the 3rd embroidery up right away in March. I decided not to do the houses in various colors. Instead I'm using white houses with black roofs now. The pic above shows the yellow house version I started with and the white version. From now on I'll only be doing just the white and black houses. I think it sets off the embroidery better.
I'm still giving you some directions for the embroideries. You will need to know basic stitches and there are a LOT of youtube videos that can teach you any you don't.
Here are the directions:
1. Cut a square of your background fabric 5" x 5". This will be cut smaller later but this fits my fav 4" hoop. You can cut the fabric so it will fit in the embroidery hoop you like but make sure the birdhouse has enough room for the embroidery.
2. This step in optional but I like the stability. Now I add a square of Pelon Shape Flex interfacing. This is my favorite to use for all my embroidery designs because it's not stiff and it's easy to embroider thru. I cut the square of it slightly smaller the the entire piece. You can just add it to the center square if you prefer.
Most important!! If you went ahead and traced the birdhouse do not use steam this can smear your tracing. I've used Pigma pens and had them smear slightly.
Note: I never use steam to apply the interfacing and it sticks fine.
3. Using a permanent marker like a Pigma pen or a Pilot Frixon pen, trace the design. Use you own judgment for placement of the flowers. Follow the pic or draw them where you want them.
Note that the Frixon pen will disappear when heat is applied. This is great if you made a mistake, just iron the fabric and start again.
4. The house and roof can be appliqued like I did or just stitched with your favorite embroidery stitch.
-Trace the house and roof on Heat n Bond by Therm-o-web. This is a product that makes appliqueing small pieces so much easier. TIP: Hold the iron on for just a few seconds or you will also melt the other side.
-Once it cools peel off the paper.
-Lay the fabric over the tracings and iron in place.
5.Do a small blanket stitch with 1 strand of floss ( I used DMC white) around the entire house. For the roof use 1 strand of floss (I used DMC 310) to do a small blanket stitch.
6. The base is done in 6 strands to do a chain stitch (I used DMC 310). Then used 3 strands to couch lines at the top and the bottom of the chain.
7. The opening is filled in with straight stitches using 3 strands of floss.
-Then use 2 strands to go around the circle with stem stitch.
-Use 3 strands to make a 3 wrap french knot. (I used DMC 310 for all 3 stitches)
8. The flower stems are stitched with 3 strands of floss (I used DMC 989) to make stem stitches. Make sure to leave enough room between the stems for the flower petals. I over lapped some of mine but you may not want to.
9. The flower petals are lazy daisy made with 3 strands of floss ( I used DMC 602).
10. Make french knots with 2-3 wraps along the stems here the petals meet (I used DMC 727).
----Add lazy daisy stitches in green if you want some leaves.
Right click the pattern to save it to your hard drive. You'll need to print a pattern for tracing.
©Billie Jo Heisler 2023
All rights reserved
I drew this design by hand then used a software program to edit it.
Please consider the drawing copyrighted. You have my permission to print copies of the drawing in any size for your own use but not to share or sell. If you want to share the pattern please link to the blog pages.
The embroidery design is my own. I have not knowingly copied anyone else's work.
Tuesday, February 7, 2023
Ok, I'm new to pod casts. I just couldn't find the time to site thru them but when I got an email from iheart radio with link to one called Bridgewater I was curious. There's a town in my county called that so I had a look. Once I saw it stared Misha Collins, Nathan Fillion (season 1), and Alan Tuduk (season 2) I decided to listen. It's weirdly fun and I'm enjoying season 2 now with new episode on Fridays. It's also great that most are only around 30 minutes. I don't have patience for much more than that. My brain starts to wander.
Bridgewater Here's the link to Grim and Mild where you can find links to listen on various platforms.
BTW, they have other pod casts, too.