Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Still moving and more problems


 It's hard to believe the problems we've had with moving and trying to fix everything that needs fixed. Since we have been living elsewhere for the past 9 years (but kept the house) we weren't worried about fixing anything. We always thought we'd end up selling the house and staying here.

The carpet in the living room needed replaced badly. My husband and I could never agree on what to get so it just got worse. We made the mistake of not getting info from a few places and instead went to the local Home Depot to get carpet and flooring for the kitchen. Now if we were putting it down things would have gone a lot smoother. The carpet went down great. Two guys from central america (originally) did the work in a few hours and were so nice. They texted to make sure we knew they were coming. WE wish they were doing the kitchen, too. The kitchen flooring is where the HUGE problem is. I had already removed the old flooring years ago and bought stick down tiles but the DH wasn't happy with them so they've sat in boxes for years. Now he's wishing he had helped me put them down rather than deal with the hassle we're going thru now. 

Here's a list:

1. Both the carpet and kitchen flooring were bought on May 27. The flooring the DH chose (I gave up arguing over any flooring) had to be ordered.

2. 2 weeks later the carpet was put down.

3. June 21 the tile was delivered to us to store for a month until they gave us an appointment.

4. The week of July 15 the DH has been calling and calling to see if the workers are still coming. He's told yes but there was no text from the workers. Since we aren't living there full time we had to get up early and drive 20 minutes to the house by 8 am. They never contacted us or showed up. 

5. The DH called again and again and was told they hadn't finished the job before ours and would be out the next day. Same thing  no calls or texts.

6. Home Depot was NO  help at all. Everything is thru a company called ASC who don't hire local workers but send people all over. The first crew were from NYC.

7. So we were rescheduled for the 22. This time 2 guys show up only to say they don't have the tools needed to put down that floor and that they had never installed that kind of flooring. WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!! More phone calls this time with the head installer explaining that they didn't have what was needed plus we were sold the wrong edging.

8. This time when the DH went up to Home Depot to co plain to the manager he found that guy had quit and a woman was in charge. Thank goodness because where the other manager was hopeless this person helped us SO much with getting the right edging.

9. Ok, now you'd think everything will go smoothly. WRONG! We still don't have an appointment to get it installed.

If moving isn't stressful enough, to deal with this is just too much. We are so tired of packing and unpacking that we rented a storage unit. It will be less stressful without lots of boxes that need dealt with and be in the road. We've been staying at a place with 3 bedrooms we furnished and still keeping everything at the house so there's tons to downsize. The amount of stuff that's being donated to libraries and local humane society resale shop is a lot. We have stuff we plan on selling but feel over whelmed and decided to store it all until we've fully moved to the house. I'll be listing all the dolls and bears I've been storing since I stopped selling on ebay at really low prices (like $5 - $15). I also have lots of quilting magazines that need to go. I'm trying to decide what to do with all the old Martha Stewart Living I have, sell, donate, or put in the paper recycle  bin. Well back to work packing up more sewing and craft supplies.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading messages from those who have kind words to share. I tend to only get on blogger once a week so if you leave a post that requires an answer please be patient with me, I will answer. If you are a troll PLEASE don't post. There's enough meanness in the world, don't add to it.