Thursday, July 15, 2010

Doll Crafter & Costuming shutting down!

I just got an email from Heidi Heideman the editor at Doll Crafter & Costuming magazine to say the last magazine to be published with be the Oct. issue. Wow! I'm really sorry to see another doll magazine gone even though they didn't have a lot for cloth doll makers. From the letters printed in the magazine there always seemed to be a problem with subscribers and the content. They tried to have something for all the different kinds of dolls but why would someone who made cloth dolls buy a magazine that only had one pattern for that style. Same with hand sculpted or porcelain. I think they were trying too hard to appeal to too many and ended up losing the people who originally liked it the way it was when it had no cloth dolls. Well, no matter, it's just sad to see the end of a very nice magazine.

Ok, what have I been doing with my summer so far? Jumping from one project to another as usual!
1. The fall tatting pattern is still waiting for me to sit and finish all the charts. I have the cover photo done and ordered them this week at Snapfish. I'm working on the winter patterns when I feel like tatting.
2. The bag doll is on the bottom of the pile of things I've been working on because I just can't move on with it.
3. I have a fantastic blue dragon almost done. I'm planning on finishing it tonight.
4. This afternoon I finished a doll for a contest at my doll group at ning. It's for a patriotic doll contest. They provided the doll body pattern and we had to go from there.
5. I also have 2 mermaids I'm working on. When I finish the dragon I'll probably move on to them.
6. Then there's all the books I've been reading. Last night I finished 'The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood'. I know it's been out for ages and I've had a copy of the book for ages but never got around to it. I have a lot of books since I'm addicted to going to library book sales and it's just one that kept getting ignored until now. I finally get all the excitement about the book now! I loved it and plan on getting the other books Rebecca Wells has written.

Before Divine Secrets... I read 'Garden Spells' by Sarah Addison Allen. Loved it, too. It's another one I bought and left on the shelf. I paid full price, it wasn't a library sale book and still I let it set! Kind of reminded me of Alice Hoffmann's 'Practical Magic' without all thew beautiful prose she uses. Yesterday I stopped at the library and got another book she's written called 'The Sugar Queen' along with some other books. I know I spend too much time reading when I should be working.

Will post pics of my Patriotic doll next time!