Thursday, November 12, 2020

A free embroidery pattern for November

 

So here we are getting closer and closer to the holidays. I do have some holiday designs in the works but I decided to post this one in my series of keep calm hearts. I made it last summer before I went a bit overboard with the VOTE designs. If you don't like the text you can change it to your own handwritten saying by not tracing my text and writing in your own. This would be cute done as a wedding or anniversary gift with names and dates. I chose to embroider bluebirds but make them in your color. If you want white for doves you should change the fabric to a color where the white floss will show unless you plan on using light grey for the stitching.

The swing, the lines below alone & together, and text are backstitched with 2 strands of floss.

The purple and green flowers are long lazy daisy with green straight stitches between them. I used all 6 strands for the daisys and 3 strands for the straight stitches and the french knot in the centers.

The pink flowers are lazy daisy with french knots for centers using 2 strands. The leaves/fern are feather stitch but fly would work, too. These are not drawn on the pattern so you can fill in the space with as many or few as you like. I also find drawing the stitches the ink tends to show.

The birds are done with 2 strands of floss. The body and hearts are back stitched. At the top of the head are short straight stitches. The tails long straight stitches with french knots on the tips. There are lazy daisies in the hearts and on the tail. 

NOTE that this drawing shows a simple heart border of couched thread with beads, knots or just a small stitch. As I worked on the embroidery I kept adding more and more. Here's what the photo shows. The heart is couched with 3 strands of green floss held in place with pink. Next is 2 strands for back stitch. Third is stem stitch using 2 strands. Fourth is a running stitch again using 2 strands. Last is wrapping the running stitches with 2 strands of floss.

I know this is a lot of stitching so maybe leave off the flowers and use decorative buttons or beads if you want to make if quick. 

Look for another next month and remember the patterns are only up for 1 month. This one will be removed on December 12. Eventually all the keep calm patterns will be sold at my Etsy store

©Billie Jo Heisler 2020
All rights reserved

 Disclaimer:
I drew this design by hand then used a software program to edit it.
Please consider the drawing copyrighted. You have my permission to print copies of the drawing in any size for your own use but not to share or sell. If you want to share the pattern please link to the blog pages.
The embroidery design is my own. I have not knowingly copied anyone else's work.