Sunday, February 27, 2022

First Free Embroidery of the Year-

 

YAY!!! I finally got one finished and here it is ------ Let's just say this is January's free embroidery even though it's February.

I know I'm really late but if you've read my past posts you know why but no matter because I'm finally ready to post the first embroidery freebie of the year. BTW, I hope you enjoyed the wrist pincushion pattern I posted at the beginning of the month.
I thought I'd go back to giving you some directions for the embroideries. You will need to know basic stitches and there are a LOT of youtube videos that can teach you any you don't.

1. Cut a square of your background fabric 4 1/4" x 4 1/4". If you aren't adding borders like I did you should cut the fabric larger so it will fit in your embroidery hoop.

2. Using a permant marker like a Pigma pen, trace the design.

3. Add the borders following these directions. Note that you will add these borders to all 12 of the designs. I plan on using a variety of matching fabrics, though I may end up changing this multi floral fabric for another. This is the way I'm adding fabric borders to all my embroidered squares this year. Use your fav quilt border if you don't want to use this one.

I cut the border strips from quilters quarters/fat quarters. I wanted the finished borders to be 1" wide so I added 1/2" for the seam allowances. I didn't cut the border into pieces, instead I sewed it to the square then cut it. Follow these directions and diagrams to make them like I do.
NOTE:I add the borders before I embroider but after I trace the design!

-- Cut a piece of fabric 1 1/2" wide. Match the edge to the TOP of the square and sew across.

Cut off the excess and press open.

-- Repeat for one of the sides. I go clock-wise.

-- Repeat for the bottom.

--Finish with the remaining side.
Make sure to press it and then check to make sure the borders are all even.

4. The petals can be appliqued like I did or just stitched with your favorite embroidery stitch.
-Trace 8 petals on Heat n Bond by Therm-o-web. This is a product that makes appliqueing small pieces so much easier. TIP: Don't hold the iron on for just a few seconds or you will also melt the other side.
-Once it cools peel off the paper.
-Lay the fabric petals over the tracings and iron in place.
-Do a small blanket stitch with 2 strands of floss ( I used DMC 603) around each petal.
-With 4 strands of the same floss do a chain stitch around the inner circle.
- For the "peeking" petals do a stem stitch and a long straight stitch with 3 strands of the same floss.

5. For the flower center use 3 strands of floss (I used DMC 727) to do a stem stitch next to the chain stitch.
- Fill in the circle with as many french knots as you like. I used 6 strands to make 2 wrap french knots.
- Repeat the knots at the tip of each long straight stitch in the small flower petals.

6. The outside line of the leaves is stem stitched with 3 strands of floss (I used DMC 703).
- The dots can be beads or 3 wrap french knots with the same floss.

7. The small series of lines in the corners are back stitched using 3 strands of the same flosses used for the flower.

8. The dots can be beads or french knots. I didn't do them yet since I plan on adding beads. I will probably add beads on the flower, too.

Here's the pattern for the embroidery:

 Right click the pattern to save it to your hard drive. You'll need to print a pattern for tracing.

 
©Billie Jo Heisler 2022
All rights reserved

 Disclaimer:
I drew this design by hand then used a software program to edit it.
Please consider the drawing copyrighted. You have my permission to print copies of the drawing in any size for your own use but not to share or sell. If you want to share the pattern please link to the blog pages.
The embroidery design is my own. I have not knowingly copied anyone else's work.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to reading messages from those who have kind words to share. I tend to only get on blogger once a week so if you leave a post that requires an answer please be patient with me, I will answer. If you are a troll PLEASE don't post. There's enough meanness in the world, don't add to it.